Q&A with the author, Kim Barnouin
SPICY VEGETABLE CURRY
- heat oil, ginger, garlic and saute for 30 sec.
- add coconut milk, water, red curry past, miso, and curry powder, and stir until well combined. reduce heat to low and simmer 20 min.
- in another saucepan, heat oil, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, and okra and saute 3 min.(ish)
- add salt and pepper to taste.
- add veggies to sauce and cook 10 min.(ish)
- garnish with lime and red pepper flakes. serve with jasmine rice.
this was so delicious it inspired me to sit up late and sketch it out. i made a few changes to the recipe. *I couldn't find white miso paste so I had to use tomato paste instead.. it was the only paste i had. i was just going to skip over it but it's a big portion of the ingredients, it gives the sauce substance. i was having a skype dinner date with my friend, Monica, and she encouraged me to just throw it in and it helped make the entire thing! i'm sure the miso stuff is great and will be great when i track it down (probably at a local asian foods store) but my version wasn't too shabby. i went super light on the ginger too. i don't know how someone could eat so much ginger as they sell at once. not really a fan. the only other changes were that i didn't have red pepper to garnish.. i thought i did, but i didn't. i sprinkled a TOUCH of cayenne pepper in the sauce before i dropped the veggies in though and who knows, maybe it made a difference. and i used just plain ol white rice. i had some in the cupboard and it went perfectly. if you make this, let me know how it turns out.. i thought it was absolutely yummy.